Additional reading Role of multiparamteric MRI imaging in focal therapy for prostate cancer.
Advantages of focal laser therapy:
1) Total ablation process takes up to 3 minutes per laser fiber.
2) Damage predicted with with MR temperature mapping correlated with damage seen on follow up studies.
3) Patient discharged 3 hours after treatment.
4) No post treatment Incontinence, or rectal injury.
5) MRI has an inherent high spatial resolution and temporal resolution.
6) Ablation zone is sharply demarcated compared with other ablation techniques.